Spiced cauliflower and potatoes
preparation time 10’, cooking time 30’
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 2 medium potatoes or 675g small new potatoes
- Small piece fresh root ginger
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons oil teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon nigella seeds
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Chili powder to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
– Trim the stalks from the cauliflower and break into small florets.
– Peel or scrape the potatoes, cut old ones into 2,5cm cubes or leave new potatoes whole.
– Finely chop the ginger and roughly chop the tomatoes.
– Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan, add the cumin, nigella and the mustard seeds and cook them quickly until they pop (it should only take a few seconds). Add the ginger. Stir-fry for a few seconds before adding the turmeric.
– Then season the spices to taste with salt and chili powder
– Cook for a minute before adding the tomatoes and continue to cook for about another minute until they are slightly softened.
– Add the cauliflower and potatoes to the pan, mix well to coat the vegetables with the spices, and then reduce the heat.
– Cover the saucepan and leave the vegetables to cook for 7 minutes or until they are soft and any excess moisture is absorbed.
– Spoon the spiced vegetables carefully into a warmed serving dish with the suggested main dishes or any other meat or poultry curries.