- Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion – chopped finely
- 75g Pine Nuts – roughly chopped
- 500g Ground Beef
- Herbs – fresh or dry to taste (Oregano, Basil, Rosemary etc)
- 2 Tsp Fennel Seeds – ground
- 50g Fresh Breadcrumbs
- 250g Ricotta Cheese
- 25g Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 Egg – beaten
- Heat the Olive Oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and soften the Onions for 5 minutes then add the Pine Nuts and cook until they are golden.
- Add the garlic and cook out on a lower heat then set aside to cool.
- Put the Ground Beef, Herbs, Fennel, breadcrumbs, Ricotta, Parmesan, Lemon Zest and Egg into a bowl and mix together.
- Then add the and Onions & Pine Nuts, mixing gently until combined.
- Add Salt & Pepper to taste and test fry a small ball to check the seasonings.
- Leave overnight in fridge for best results.
- Make ‘Golf Ball’ size balls and slightly flatten to make them easier to cook.
- Cook the Meat Balls in Olive Oil until they are golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve with Tomato Sauce – see Old Man’s Rich Tomato Sauce!