For the Chicken or Salmon Tikka:
- 1 x Chicken Fillet or Salmon Fillet per person cut into 5 or 6 decent chunks
- Greek yogurt – 2 tbspn per fillet
- Tandoori Spice (see photo) – 1 tbspn per fillet
For the Masala Sauce:
- 2 tbspn vegetable oil
- 2 tbspn butter
- 2 small / 1 large onion – finely chopped
- 1.5 tbspn garlic – chopped
- 1 tbspn fresh ginger -chopped
- 1.5 tspn garam masala
- 1.5 tspn ground cumin
- 1 tspn turmeric
- 1 tspn ground coriander
- 400g tomato puree or tomato pulp
- 1 tspn chili flakes
- 1 tspn chilli powder
- 1 tspn salt
- 1 x standard pot of Greek yogurt (or a bit more to loosen the sauce)
- 1 tspn brown sugar
- Dash of water if needed.
- Coriander to garnish.
Chicken / Salmon:
- Marinade chunks of chicken fillet or salmon fillet in a mix of Tandoori Spice and Greek yogurt. Place in a bowl, cover and keep chill until needed.
- Heat oil and butter in large, hot frying pan , add onions until soft (3 mins)
Add garlic and ginger and sauté for a minute, then add the garam masala; cumin; turmeric and coriander spices. Fry for around 20 seconds, stirring occasionally.
Add the tomato puree, chili powders (the more chili added the hotter the sauce) and salt. Cover with lid and simmer for around 10- 15 mins. Stir occasionally to stop sticking at bottom.
- Transfer sauce to a blender and zap to make a smooth sauce, return to pan
Add the Greek yogurt and sugar to sauce, and continue to keep covered and simmering gently. You can add more yogurt to loosen the sauce and to temper the heat of the spice.
Chicken / Salmon:
- Switch on oven grill (at step 4 above)
- Place chunks of marinated meat / fish onto grill rack over tin foil in grill pan
- Grill until nicely brown and getting charcoal
Remove from oven, turn meat over and use any excess marinate to blob on top of chunks
- Return to oven to continue browning and charcoaling.
12) Cook basmati rice as per instructions
Once meat/fish has cooked combine with the masala sauce and serve with the rice. (I grill both chicken and fish at same time and mix with the sauce separately as I don’t eat chicken.) Top with fresh coriander