APRIL – A few Quite Interesting things…
🔸 APRIL CALENDAR
- April 1 is All Fools’ Day—otherwise known as “April Fools’ Day.”
- April 2 is Good Friday.
- April 4 is Easter Sunday. (May 2 is Orthodox Easter.)
- April 12 marks the start of Ramadan (beginning at sundown).
- April 22 is Earth Day.
- April 30 is National Arbor Day. A popular Arbor Day tradition is to plant a tree in honor or memory of a loved one.
🔸 “Just for Fun” Days
- Apr. 1: Sweet Potato Day
- Apr. 6: International Pillow Fight Day
- Apr. 7: National No Housework Day
- Apr. 17: Blah, Blah, Blah Day
- Apr. 21: Go Fly a Kite Day
- Apr. 26: National Richter Scale Day
- Apr. 27: National Sense of Smell Day
In England, April is usually the month with the lowest rainfall.
In April 2016 the Large Hadron Collider was shut down after a weasel fell into it.
The world’s first weather map, published in the Times on 1st April 1875, gave the weather for the previous day.
Slavery first became a statutory offence in the UK on 6th April 2010.
On 17th April 2011, Emmanuel Mutai won the London marathon. The next day, Geoffrey Mutai won the Boston marathon. The two are not related.
On 18th April 1930, the BBC announced that there was no news that day – so listeners could enjoy some piano music.
On 21st April 2017, for the first time since the Industrial Revolution, the UK was powered for 24 hours without a shovelful of coal.